Re: Wolfram, meet Stefan and Boltzmann

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117465] Re: Wolfram, meet Stefan and Boltzmann
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 05:20:28 -0500 (EST)

In article <ilve3r$emn$1 at smc.vnet.net>, SigmundV <sigmundv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It also astonished me that AES is not familiar with the term
> 'antiderivative'. The derivative of the antiderivative is the function
> itself.

Pretty obvious what it means, of course.  But:

1)  "Antiderivative" doesn't appear in the New Oxford American
Dictionary; "indefinite integral" does.

2)  The MIT Math Department's online "Calculus for Beginners" course
says:

   16.1 The Antiderivative

   The antiderivative is the name we sometimes (rarely) give
   to the operation that goes backward from the derivative of
   a function to the function itself . . . The more common name
   for the antiderivative is the indefinite integral. This is the
   identical notion, merely a different name for it.

3)  I'm 250 miles from my home library at the moment, so can't look in
the indexes of Morse and Feshbach or comparable classics; but amazon.com
has an online searchable listing for Courant and Hilbert, Methods of
Mathematical Physics, and "antiderivative" doesn't appear in its index,
or anywhere else in the book.

And so on . . .