FindMinimum slow in evaluation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117459] FindMinimum slow in evaluation
  • From: Nabeel Butt <nabeel.butt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 05:19:21 -0500 (EST)

Dear Users,
          I have a program in which I am trying to minimize a
function several times in a program.To me finding the local minimum is
sufficient given a good intial guess and constraints.However , Mathematica's
built-in FindMinimum seems a little slow since I need to make repeated use
of it(I tried the global minimization but it is much slower ) several times
with different intial guesses and constraints .This depends upon the
function too ofcourse and the time taken could be improved by changing the
accuracy /precision. Is there a way I can get my program speeded up in
anyway possible( Try changing the value of 'nn' in my program I upload and
observe as 'nn' gets bigger so does the computation time needed ).I am
uploading my notebook at
http://uploading.com/files/mb1cd236/sampleprogrammath.nb/
          Thanks in advance !
                 Nabeel

--
"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems.The answers we have
found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions.In some ways we feel

Nabeel Butt
UWO,London
Ontario, Canada