Re: Does MemoryConstrained count stack space?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117444] Re: Does MemoryConstrained count stack space?
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 05:16:38 -0500 (EST)

Alexey,

Interesting. I will have to give it more thought. But here is my guess (may
be, this is a complete nonsense).  Mathematica probably maps its evaluation
stack onto the stack maintained by the C run-time, or, OS stack
space (this is also mentioned in the documentation). Most things Mathematica
creates, such as lists (Table[Random[],...], or whatever) are immutable and
can not be modified, but
only copied. These are temporarily created in dynamically allocated RAM (the
heap), which is
distinct from the stack space. Since the stack space is a limited resource,
my guess would be that for the
expressions we see on the stack, only pointers to these expressions are
really kept there, while expressions
themselves are kept on the heap. If this is indeed true, then in your
example, the real thing that is kept on
the stack for your Plus@@Table is an expression where the pointer is used
instead of the full copy of a
huge array (this is anyway how things are done in C - no one in their right
mind would copy a full huge array
onto the stack, this is also grossly inefficient in terms of run-time, not
just memory). So, I would guess that
most of the memory consumption you are observing is from the heap memory,
not stack memory.
I would be very interested in knowing whether or not my guess is correct.

Regards,
Leonid