StreamPlot or streamlines in 3D?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117416] StreamPlot or streamlines in 3D?
  • From: István Zachar <zac at freemail.hu>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 06:35:40 -0500 (EST)

Dear Group,

I'm plotting some trajectories in 3D, and I would like to present
results as StremPlot does in 2D. Is there an established method how to
generate StreamPlot-like streams and arrows, or I have to work my way
from scratch, and extend it to 3D? It would be nice to have some ready-
made algorithms on stream segmentation, placement, interpolation and
styling. A Stream[...] object seems to be a natural extension to
Point, Line and Arrow primitives...
Note, that I do NOT generate a vectorfield in 3D, but a set of points
for each trajectory, which I want to present as arrows, though not as
general arrows, as those simply point to the fixed points of the ODE
system, which are displayed as a point in the corner sorrunded with a
multitude of arrowheads - pretty crowded. See the picture below (three
views of the solutions of a 4D ODE on a 3D simplex).

http://img708.imageshack.us/i/simplex3d.png/

Any help/idea is appreciated

Istvan