Re: Mathematica pegs core - Can anyone else reproduce?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117506] Re: Mathematica pegs core - Can anyone else reproduce?
  • From: Daniel Chisholm <dmc at danielchisholm.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 06:14:41 -0500 (EST)

Tyler I have a really slow machine (about ten times slower it seems than a
typical modern desktop machine; it is a netbook with a 1.6GHz Atom
processor, Mathematica 8.0.1 under 32-bit Ubuntu Linux 10.10), Benchmark[]
says I am "BenchmarkResult" -> 0.043, "TotalTime" -> 321.44)

On my machine your example initially appears to hang, but it does respond
after about 9 CPU minutes.  FWIW it is the "Mathematica" process (i.e. the
frontend not the kernel) which pegs and though it takes up a good chunk of
memory (100MB or so of memory growth) it is not a runaway.

--
- Daniel
Fredericton, NB  Canada