FindRoot with 2 variables plus parameters

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117674] FindRoot with 2 variables plus parameters
  • From: Alessandro Tavoni <alessandro.tavoni at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 06:58:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I have a hard time finding roots to the following system of equations
in 2 unknowns (p,q):

eq1 = Pu == f(q, alfa, beta)
eq2 = Ql == g(p, alfa, beta)

If the 2 parameters (alfa, beta) are given numerical values
beforehand, no issue. But I would like to retain the parameters in
symbolic form, so as to later minimize the distance of Pu and Ql from
two numbers.

I have only managed to work around this issue by creating a Table for
each variable given various parameter variables so to compare it to a
Table filled with the corresponding number. This method, however,
seems rather cumbersome, and would rather use Nminimize if possible.

Thanks!
Alex