Re: Off Topic: E-Mail Security in this Group

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117744] Re: Off Topic: E-Mail Security in this Group
  • From: Helen Read <readhpr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 04:18:03 -0500 (EST)

On 3/29/2011 7:51 AM, JCW wrote:
> It appears that one's full e-mail address is exposed to the Internet
> whenever one posts to this group because it is a 'Google front end'
> for a Usenet group.  (Oddly, Google gives me a warning to this effect
> when I try to post a REPLY to an existing message, but NOT when I
> start a new thread.)  There's a nice discussion of this issue at
> "Discussion>Google Groups Basics>security when using usenet groups"
> that recommends, in particular, using disposable e-mail addresses (not
> so easy when you already have a Google account).  Yet I see a lot of
> people using what are apparently real e-mail addresses (masked by
> Google, of course) on this group.
>
> So my question is this:  How have you folks solved this problem (if
> indeed there is one) and avoided spammers? -- JCW

I access this group via Usenet, using a real news server and news reader
(not the web based Google Groups), because for me it's way more
convenient. I have been a Usenet denizen since 1993, and have always
posted under my real e-mail address so that people can reply directly to
me if they like. There's nothing more annoying than replying to sender
only to have the e-mail bounce because of a fake address.

In the early days, there was some spam coming in as a result of spammers
harvesting addresses from Usenet, but it was never a huge problem.
Spammers now have so many other sources of e-mail addresses that having
my e-mail address out there on Usenet doesn't matter. And any decent
e-mail provider nowadays filters out e-mail spam, and I see little to no
spam making it through to my Inbox.

Really it's a non-issue, and my own belief is that people should post
under a valid e-mail address so that others can reply directly to the
sender.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont