Keep Fractions Displayed Using HoldForm From Scaling Down

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117750] Keep Fractions Displayed Using HoldForm From Scaling Down
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 04:19:11 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone,

Can't seem to get the typesetting to come out the way I want.  If I use HoldForm on an unevaluated expression such as (where the x's are multiplication signs)

HoldForm[(p/(1 + r)) x ((3 a)/(6 b)) x 17]

I get the format that I want: the font size of the numerators and denominators of the fractions are the same as that of the lone integer, 17, at the end.  But if I stick that same expression into a row of a table or grid, the font size of the fraction is reduced, presumably to make it fit within the height of the row; so the following

Tableform[{
{HoldForm[(p/(1 + r)) x ((3 a)/(6 b)) x 17]},
{=93Another line of stuff goes here.=94}
}]

does not display the way I want because the fractions are shrunk.  Is there any way to control this.  I've tried RowSpacings, RowMinHeight, and ItemSize but these control the space between rows rather than the height of the row itself.

Regards,

Gregory