Standard evaluation sequence and Trace

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117746] Standard evaluation sequence and Trace
  • From: Alexey <lehin.p at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 04:18:25 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

Is there a way to identify explicitly The Standard Evaluation Sequence
described on the page
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/Evaluation.html
with output of Trace without loosing any of the evaluation steps?

For example, if we evaluate

Trace[Block[{$IterationLimit = 20}, x + y], TraceOriginal -> True]

we get a nested list that contain two expressions
Block[{$IterationLimit = 20}, x + y] on the first level. What it
means? To which evaluation step corresponds the second expression?

And what about the same-level sublists {20} and
{$IterationLimit=Unevaluated[20],{Set},$IterationLimit,20}
?
How they could be mapped to the standard evaluation sequence? Why we
see here Unevaluated[20]?

Alexey