Re: Off Topic: E-Mail Security in this Group

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117739] Re: Off Topic: E-Mail Security in this Group
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 04:17:07 -0500 (EST)

On 3/29/11 at 6:51 AM, Please.No.EMail at comcast.net (JCW) wrote:

>It appears that one's full e-mail address is exposed to the Internet
>whenever one posts to this group because it is a 'Google front end'
>for a Usenet group.  (Oddly, Google gives me a warning to this
>effect when I try to post a REPLY to an existing message, but NOT
>when I start a new thread.)  There's a nice discussion of this issue
>at "Discussion>Google Groups Basics>security when using usenet
>groups" that recommends, in particular, using disposable e-mail
>addresses (not so easy when you already have a Google account).  Yet
>I see a lot of people using what are apparently real e-mail
>addresses (masked by Google, of course) on this group.

>So my question is this:  How have you folks solved this problem (if
>indeed there is one) and avoided spammers? -- JCW

I've set up a specific email address I use only for this group
and one or two other lists. On top of that, I've set up a
Bayesian spam filter with white rules. Anything that registers
as highly likely to be spam and is not from one of the lists
I've specifically marked as OK on the white list gets marked as
read and automatically routed to trash on download. So, I don't
see that much spam from this list despite the exposure to USENET.

And obviously, since I only use this address for a couple of
lists, it is very easy for me to kill this address and establish
a new one if my current strategy doesn't seem adequate.