Re: Grid frame do not show when exporting to HTML

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117741] Re: Grid frame do not show when exporting to HTML
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 04:17:29 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 29, 6:56 am, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <n... at 12000.org> wrote:
> Hello;
>
> Mathematica 8.0.0.1, on windows 7:
>
> I create a new notebook with this in it:
>
> ---------------------------
> m=Table[i^2-j^3,{i,5},{j,6}];
> Grid[m,Frame->All]
> ---------------------------
>
> Then do File->SAVE AS and select HTML.
>
> When I look at the HTML, the table does not have the frames around the
> rows and columns any more.  Any way to fix this?
>
> On a side issue, when I change the notebook style to report
> (format->Style->Report) and try to save to html as above, I get
> lots of error in the messages window. It looks like Report is
> not well supported for HTML export?
>
> thanks,
>
> --Nasser

Nasser:

While I cannot provide any specific advice or workarounds, I do think
you should have a look at Mark McClure's blog.

http://facstaff.unca.edu/mcmcclur/blog/08.04.09.BloggingMathematica.html

In particular, the following post where he describes how to:

1. "...construct an HTML stylesheet that creates Mathematica's
appearance while adding some blog style decorations."
2. "...export a given notebook to HTML that incorporates my new
stylesheet, as well as Mathematica's default HTML stylesheet."

Mark notes that, "Generally, the preferred way to do this is to write
a Mathematica stylesheet and incorporate ConversionRules specifying
how specific Mathematica styles map to HTML styles.  It's then easy
enough to incorporate special header and footer styles that
automatically produce the correct <div> commands to place the whole
notebook inside a blog-like container.  There are two difficulties
with this approach, however." The primary difficulty being, "...it's a
pain when you want to distribute the notebooks as well, since other
users almost certainly don't have your specialized stylesheet." (He
distributes the original notebook for each blog post via a link at the
top of the page.)

His solution is, "...code that simply exports the notebook to HTML as
normal, reads the resulting file back in, makes some small
adjustments, and rewrites the final result back out."

Again, while this post may not be exactly what you're looking for, it
may help point you in the right direction. Contacting him might also
be a good idea --- he seems like a nice guy --- and maybe he'd figure
out your problem via a new blog post! :D

-RG