slow interface for Mathematica 8.01

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118940] slow interface for Mathematica 8.01
  • From: Chris Burdzy <burdzy77 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 07:45:53 -0400 (EDT)

I wonder if anyone has advice as to why Mathematica 8.01 has extremely slow interface on my 1 year old Win 7 PC. I have the same Mathematica 8.01 installed on a 4 year old PC running Win XP and its interface is normally fast.

By slow interface I mean that when I type "Plot[Sin[x], {x,1,10}]" on XP machine, the letters appear at the speed at which I type. On Win 7 machine, the letters appear on the screen at a speed *much* slower than human typing.
Also, after a cell is executed, it takes a few seconds before Mathematica on Win 7 would accept any new input from the user.
The computation in the background (loops) are faster on Win 7 (newer machine) than on XP (older machine), as expected.

Did I unknowingly activate some sophisticated interface feature on Win 7 PC?

Thanks, Chris