Re: Count Ouccrence of words in a long text

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118985] Re: Count Ouccrence of words in a long text
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 07:18:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> First of all I am pretty new to Mathematica, so excuse me if this has
> a simple answer.
>
> What I need is to be able to count the occurrence of each word of a
> text and count the times each word appears on it. I know how to do
> this on other languages but I am trying to achieve it with
> mathematica.
>
> Can someone hint me the way to go?

I think there might be languages that are better suited for this kind of
tasks, especially if the text becomes _really_ long. Anyway, it is
fairly easy in Mathematica and resonable fast, too:

text = Import["ExampleData/USConstitution.txt"];
words = StringCases[text, WordCharacter ..];
Tally[words]

hth,

albert