Re: Get["file.mx"] doesn't work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118968] Re: Get["file.mx"] doesn't work
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 07:15:44 -0400 (EDT)

On 17/05/2011 12:49, Sjoerd C. de Vries wrote:
> If you saved the file using DumpSave the result may be machine specific (MaxOS vs Win vs Linux; 32 bit vs 64 bit). Other kinds of saving results (a normal save in a .nb notebook or using Save are machine independent if I'm not mistaken).
>
> Cheers -- Sjoerd
>
> Mathematica questions quickly answered at StackOverflow
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/mathematica

There is an interesting alternative to using MX files, which seems to be
portable:

str=OpenWrite[file,BinaryFormat->True];
       BinaryWrite[str,Compress[expr],"TerminatedString"];
    Close[str];

This is not quite as fast as using an mx file, but it is still very fast.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk