Re: Mathematica 8 Windows EMF/WMF export with transparent background?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119169] Re: Mathematica 8 Windows EMF/WMF export with transparent background?
  • From: Luci Ellis <luci at verbeia.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 06:28:33 -0400 (EDT)

On 2011-05-22 20:58:38 +1000, Armand Tamzarian said:

> On May 21, 8:45 pm, Luci Ellis <l... at verbeia.com> wrote:
>> Dear all
>> I'm developing a custom plotting function for my employer,
>> incorporating all the little tweaks and standard formats they want. So
>> far, so good. But they want to export WMF or EMF graphics into
>> PowerPoint presentations that (for technical reasons to do with the
>> screen in the Board room) have dark backgrounds. So they want the
>> graphics to have transparent backgrounds. But the backgrounds of
>> graphics exported as WMF/EMF have white backgrounds, even though the
>> default for Export is meant to be Background->None.
>> Does anyone have any suggestions about how to enforce the transparent
>> background? I am having difficulties testing this myself because I'm
>> developing on a Mac (thus no WMF/EMF export capability), and at the
>> moment they haven't upgraded their Windows versions from 7.0.
>> Kind regards
>> Luci
> <snip>
>
> tmp = Style[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 6 Pi}, Background -> None],
>   Antialiasing -> False]
>
> Export["test.pdf", tmp, Background -> None]
>
> PDF is probably a good option if you can convince them to import that
> format.

The question is how that goes in PowerPoint 2007 for Windows. If the
machine connected to the Board room projector were a Mac, PDF would
work.

Does anyone with a Windows version of Mathematica 8.0.1 have
time/inclination to see what WMF/EMF export looks like with and without
the Background->None option to Export[]?

Kind regards
Luci