Re: Very (very very) slow typing for Mathematica in large cells.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119177] Re: Very (very very) slow typing for Mathematica in large cells.
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 08:41:07 -0400 (EDT)

On 22/05/2011 11:55, BernieTheJet wrote:
> I have some functions that are very long and complicated and which
> take up many lines of a single cell.  For one particularly long such
> function it can take about 3 second for EACH new character that I type
> to appear in the cell.  What ends up happening is I go type a
> sentence, wait a minute for it to appear on screen, then go back to do
> whatever editing of my typos.  Needless to say this is a bit
> aggravating.  I expect it is related to the various syntax checking
> features that Mathematica now has.  Features that I otherwise really like,
> actually.
>
> Does anyone know of any work around, or if this is only present on
> WinXP?  I have this problem in both 7 and 8.0.0, for both 32 and 64
> bit windowz, I believe.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bernard

There was a slow typing bug at 8.0.0 that went away at 8.0.1, but I
think your problem is just that you are creating very large cells. The
real question is why you need to create such large cells. The only time
when I sometimes encounter this problem in a milder form, is when I
paste some output into an input cell. Normally I would only do that for
exploratory purposes.

I am not sure if this problem is even related to syntax colouring, as
there are also layout mechanisms operating that may become clumsy with
gigantic cells.

Tell us why you are creating such cells, and someone will offer a good
alternative.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk