Re: Very (very very) slow typing for Mathematica in large cells.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119187] Re: Very (very very) slow typing for Mathematica in large cells.
  • From: BernieTheJet <berniethejet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 05:58:27 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks everyone.  In fact Albert is right, I didn't think of trying to
shut off the syntax coloring.  Doing so immediately solved the typing
delay.  There are also a number of other such options that I switched
on and off in a Monte Carlo fashion, but none seemed to make any
serious difference.

Of course everyone's first inclination is to think that someone must
be doing something wrong to have such a big cell in the first place.
But, believe me, I do know better.  I've looked at it and it comes out
to 29 pages and 67,000 characters just in that cell.  I have been
ignoring this typing lag for a long time now, only forcing myself to
do something about it whenever it became too unbearable.  So this
67,000 characters is already the result of many years of moving steps
into other functions.  The rest of my code is about 300 pages long.

I think Istvan's suggestion is perhaps the best - it would be nice to
have a single drop-down check-mark in a menu for situations like this,
assuming of course that they can't just fix it.  It amazes me that I
have a machine that can simulate nuclear explosions and launch
satellites, but which has trouble scanning text.