Re: Mathematica 8.0.4 now available

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122605] Re: Mathematica 8.0.4 now available
  • From: DmitryG <einschlag at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 03:45:08 -0500 (EST)

On Oct 26, 2:41 pm, Wolfram Research <i... at wolfram.com> wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the release of Mathematica8.0.4. This
> new version streamlines deployment to the Computable Document
> Format (CDF) with a new interactive wizard and new functions for
> programmatic deployment. Key usability, stability, and security
> enhancements include:
>
> * New menu options and an interactive wizard for deploying to CDF
> * New functions CDFInformation and CDFDeploy for programmatically
> deploying CDF files
> * New download progress indicator for the CDF browser plugin
> * Improved stability, speed, and security of the CDF browser
> plugin
> * Tested under Mac OS X Lion
> * Improved memory use of the Share function when storing large
> sets of data
> * Updated MKL library to improve performance
> * New syntax coloring to warn about use of Module variable in
> Dynamic
> * Performance improvements to citation functions
> * Improved behavior of optimized variables in compiled
> conditional statements
> * Improved front end behavior when saving untitled notebooks
> under new versions of Linux
>
> Users who have Mathematica 8.0.0 or 8.0.1 with active Premier
> Service will receive email from us in the next few days with
> instructions on how to download their free updates.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Wolfram Research
> Customer Supporthttp://www.wolfram.com/support

I have tested Mathematica 8.0.4 for CUDA because now I have a new
laptop with a new nVidia Geforce 555M card. As before, CUDADot is
slower than regular Dot on reals, so I do not know how I could benefit
from GPU calculations

Another disappointment is that 8.0.4 does not recognize any C compiles
except of the Intel C compiler and a Generic C compiler that are
listed by CCompilers[Full]. There are no other compilers in the list.
I have upgraded to Mathematica 8.0.4 under Windows7  with the new
laptop and now I cannot use Miscosoft Visual C++ compiler. Also I have
upgraded on my Mac Pro and now I cannot use the GCC compiler that I
was using with Mathematica 8.0.1.

I do not know whether a better CDF support and maybe a better MKL
library compensate for the loss of C compilers and thus whether an
upgrade to 8.0.4 makes sense.

As for GPU computations, it seems we have to wait for Mathematica 9.

Dmitry