Re: Mathematica 8.0.4 now available

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122626] Re: Mathematica 8.0.4 now available
  • From: Yves Klett <yves.klett at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 05:58:15 -0500 (EST)

Whether or not a certain CUDA implementation is faster than regular code
is totally dependent on the example. For small toy examples the CUDA
overhead is huge and the use inefficient.

Consider CUDASort on my not so slow machine:

Needs["CUDALink`"]
$HistoryLength = 0;
l = Reverse@Range[10^4];
AbsoluteTiming[Do[Sort[l], {100}]]
AbsoluteTiming[Do[CUDASort[l], {100}]]

{0.0230046, Null}
{0.5071014, Null}

l = Reverse@Range[10^7];
AbsoluteTiming[a = Sort[l];]
AbsoluteTiming[b = CUDASort[l];]
a == b

{0.4420884, Null}
{0.2640528, Null}
True

For huge lists CUDASort can be quite a bit faster out of the box. Makes
a lot of noise, though, but keeps you warm in wintertime.

Regards,
Yves