Re: Change $UserBaseDirectory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122807] Re: Change $UserBaseDirectory
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 04:53:59 -0500 (EST)

On 11/9/11 at 6:22 AM, he.frauendorfer at t-online.de (E. Frauendorfer)
wrote:

>I already asked for help to change $UserBaseDirectory. Maybe that's
>not the best solution to my problem and quiz's I should elaborate a
>bit more.

>I am using a new computer with a small primary SSD for the OS and
>secondary hard disc to hold all the big info. benefiting from the
>fast seek times a SSD has to offer.

>Now the $UserBaseDirectory and $BaseDirectory are in C:\... and my
>applications are elsewhere in D:\... or E:\.... Programs that use
>$UserBaseDirectory to establish the Path to a great number of
>Packages are now failing. My thought was to change the
>$UserBaseDirectory to remedy that, but maybe there is a better way
>to do that.

You don't really say what you mean by failing. I am going to
guess this means a package fails to load using Get or Needs. If
so, this is easily remedied without changing the values in
$UserBaseDirectory. Simply edit the file init.m that can be
found in the directory returned by

=46ileNames["*", ToFileName[$UserBaseDirectory, "Kernel"]]

to add something that modifies the directories contained in
$Path. Something like

$Path=Flatten@{additionalPath2Search,$Path}

It is the directories listed in $Path that are searched by Get
and Needs to load packages. You are free to add any directory
you can access to $Path. And by placing this command in the
init.m file, it will modify $Path once the kernel is launched.
To me, this is simpler solution than trying to modify variables
such as $UserBaseDirectory.