Re: Keeping track of variables used in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122944] Re: Keeping track of variables used in Mathematica
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 07:02:47 -0500 (EST)

On 16/11/2011 09:46, Dana DeLouis wrote:

> There was a suggestion for $NewSymbol, but I had mixed results.

I made that suggestion

> Did you or anyone else get this idea to work.  Here's what I mean.
> At the top of a third workbook, the best I came up with is the following:
>
> NewNames={};
> $NewSymbol=AppendTo[NewNames,#1]&;

You could try:

If[! ValueQ[NewNames],NewNames={}]

This will only set it once, even if you re-evaluate the notebook. (BTW,
you really should avoid fully capitalised names like NewNames - such
names are reserved for future Wolfram functions).

I would also restrict the collection to global symbols:

$NewSymbol=If[#2=="Global`",AppendTo[NewNames,#1]]&;

> d=3;
> e=Range[4];
>
> (* Global has everything *)
>
> Names["Global`*"]
> {a,b,c,d,e,NewNames}
>
> (* But NewNames just had d&  e, which seems like what we want *)

I am wondering if the other symbols were spuriously added by some
packages that get loaded in your environment. I usually pre-load some
packages, but on a bare mathematica, the Global context appears to be empty.

Extracting the names from the BoxForm in a notebook doesn't seem very
useful to me - because it doesn't pick up the context of symbols with an
implicit context.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk