Re: What is the point of having Initializations in DynamicModule and Manipulate?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123052] Re: What is the point of having Initializations in DynamicModule and Manipulate?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 05:32:56 -0500 (EST)

Let's take the simpler case (which is no different in any fundamental way...it's
just easier to step through in a hyper-detailed way).  Beginning with an
evaluation in a fresh kernel of the following:

DynamicModule[{c}, {plot},
Initialization :> (g[x_] := Cos[x]; plot = Plot[g[x], {x, 1, 10}]),
UntrackedVariables -> {g}]

* Shift+Enter evaluation occurs.  It evaluates the above expression to itself
(well, except an extra option added to DynamicModule, but that's not relevant to
this discussion).  You can confirm this, incidentally, by wrapping InputForm
around the expression and evaluating it in a fresh kernel.

* The kernel calls MakeBoxes on the evaluated result.  The MakeBoxes result is
pretty simple for this case, so I'll print it out here so you can see it. Note
the naked "plot".  This will never change from here on out, since it's not
Dynamic.

DynamicModuleBox[{c$$}, RowBox[{"{", "plot", "}"}],
 Initialization :> (plot = Plot[g[x], {x, 1, 10}]),
 DynamicModuleValues :> {}, UntrackedVariables -> {g}]

* The kernel sends the boxes over MathLink to the FE.  As the FE reads the
boxes, it decorates the variables with $CellContext` (which you see when
toggling the cell expression).  At this point, the Shift+Enter evaluation has
been fully completed as far as the kernel is concerned, and the FE has the
entire result of the Shift+Enter evaluation in memory, but has yet to display
it.

* The FE tries to display the DynamicModuleBox, but stops when encountering the
Initialization option.  It now sends the body of the Initialization option to
the kernel and waits for the evaluation to finish.

* Now that the evaluation is finished, the FE now draws the DynamicModuleBox's
contents.  Of course, the contents are simply RowBox[{"{", "plot", "}"}], so the
display of this static result didn't actually depend upon the code in
Initialization.  Nonetheless, the FE was contractually bound to evaluate the
Initialization code before displaying *anything* inside of DynamicModule.

At this point, you'll see

{plot}

on the screen, and the symbols 'g' and 'plot' are now assigned in the kernel.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group