Re: special character size

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123155] Re: special character size
  • From: Dushan Mitrovich <dushanm at nnips.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 07:00:44 -0500 (EST)

Tomas Garza wrote:
> I just tried your experiment in my PC with Mathematica 8.0.4 running
> under Windows Vista. The results were as expected: the first cell(input)
> was in 12 point Courier, and the three text cells (in Times New Roman)
> printed (in my Lex mark injet printer) exactly as formatted: 12 point,
> 11 point and 10 point.  Each of them had some text ("this is a text")
> and included the expression typed in the input cell (Sin[theta]
> Exp[-theta], where theta is in Greek).  I couldn't detect anything
> wrong with it.  Perhaps you could describe in detail the formatting
> steps you used.  I think the magnification has nothing to do with the
> problem.
> -Tomas

I think you're right about the magnification being irrelevant.  It looks
like it's a Mac-specific problem, then.  In the trivial test notebook I
used, all I did for the three Text Cells was to select each (separately)
by its bracket then, using the Font window (Cmd-t) pick
a font size, 10, 11, or 12 pt.  Then I printed the results.  Couldn't be
much simpler.

One problem with on-screen font-size differences is that different
typefaces have inherently different sizes.  But this is a separate issue.

- Dushan