Re: Piecewise bug in Mathematica 8.01?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123136] Re: Piecewise bug in Mathematica 8.01?
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 06:57:17 -0500 (EST)

(a) These statements do nothing:

list3 = {};
list4 = {};
j = 0;

You set the first two variables again, so those statements are wasted, and
j in the third line is not the same as j in your Table because of scoping
considerations.

(b) If asked why Piecewise cannot handle more than 45000 clauses, I think
immediately, "Wow. SURELY we have better ways to write this code."

(c) And we do (in this case at least). Your piecewise function is
equivalent to this very simple one:

Clear[f]
f[x_Real] := f@Ceiling@x
f[x_Integer] := f[x] = RandomReal[{0.01, 0.03}]
Plot[f@x, {x, 0, 40}]
?f

This is also gorgeous:

Plot[f@x, {x, 0, 45000}]

That DOES store 45000 pieces of random noise, sadly... but it does so
behind the scenes with no fuss or bother, and it stores only the values
needed for what you actually do with f.

To see that storage, try

?f

again after the second plot.

(d) That didn't take account of the step-size "dt", but no problem; it can
be handled this way:

Clear[f, g]
dt = .5;
f[x_] := g@Ceiling[x/dt]
g[x_Integer] := g[x] = RandomReal[{0.01, 0.03}]
Plot[f@x, {x, 0, 10}]
?g

(e) We can also use Interpolation, as in

dt = .5;
maxt = 10;
list3 = RandomReal[{0.01, 0.03}, 1 + Floor[maxt/dt]];
h = Interpolation[list3, InterpolationOrder -> 0][Floor[#/dt] + 1] &;
Plot[h@x, {x, 0, 10}]

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com