Re: How to distribute specific tasks to specific subkernels?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121731] Re: How to distribute specific tasks to specific subkernels?
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 02:46:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 23:52:05 +0100, Sebastian Hofer <sebhofer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Unfortunately it's true that the amount of information on parallel
> computing decreased in newer versions. The functionality is still there
> though, only the names changed slightly. If you are willing to lookup
> the corresponding new functions (which is not hard to do really), the
> legacy documentation is still available under
> http://reference.wolfram.com/legacy/applications/parallel/
> and still very helpful!
>
> Sebastian

Well spotted--after the Parallel Computing Toolkit product page
disappeared (http://www.wolfram.com/products/applications/parallel/ now
redirects to http://www.wolfram.com/gridmathematica/) I had thought that
the documentation was also no longer available. I'm glad to learn
otherwise as it is still a valuable resource, and I would add here that
the code of the Parallel` package is also very helpful, being clear, well
commented, and written entirely in the Mathematica language. This is one
area where its incorporation into Mathematica proper has been of great
benefit, as there is obviously no longer any need to distribute the source
in obfuscated form as was the case previously.