Re: V9 !!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128878] Re: V9 !!!
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 04:56:40 -0500 (EST)

Concerning the Input Assistant, Ctrl+K now invokes the completion menu.
 But the completion menu comes up automatically when you need it, and
invoking a completion is as simple as pressing Enter or Tab.  I, for
one, didn't really use Ctrl+K all that much before, but I am using this
all the time, now.  In observing other people use Mathematica, I see
people getting used to using this very quickly, and it being very easy
to adopt.  There are a few tweaks we could stand to make, yet, but it
seems to be a big win for everyone I've seen.

Concerning templates for custom functions, believe it or not, I didn't
see a single feedback about this during fairly extensive beta testing.
But you haven't been the only one to raise the issue since release, and
it's pretty high on my list of things to look into.

Concerning the color palette, I don't understand why you would say
this.  As far as I can tell, your statement is simply wrong.  It *does*
remember its state (which groups are open and closed) and its position
without having to make horrifying permissions changes to your
application install.  Since version 7 (I believe), we have been writing
palette metadata as part of the preferences instead of writing directly
to palette files.  Because, frankly, we are ages beyond the day when we
could safely assume that parts of the installation can or should be
overwritten at the file level by users.

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

On Dec 1, 2012, at 3:37 AM, "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net> wrote:

> One thing that is nice is that if you have a six core machine you now =
get
> six parallel kernels!
>
> I don't know if I like the Predictive Interface very well. As many =
people
> know, I like to view the notebook interface as a plain piece of paper =
that I
> write on. With the New CellInsertionPointCell, and now the Predictive
> Interface it is gradually morphing into something that looks more like =
> palette. How many more doo-dads are they going to add? And the little
> buttons tend to interfere with other material on the page. Many will =
like
> these features, but if you don't like them you can disable them. The
> CellInsertionPointCell feature can be disable by an option for the =
notebook
> (in the Style Sheet say) CellInsertionPointCell->None. (You can get
> WolframAlpha just by typing = as the first character in a new cell.) =
And the