Re: Mathematica 9 for Windows

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128940] Re: Mathematica 9 for Windows
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 03:10:37 -0500 (EST)

Nothing whatsoever forces you to use the link to Wolfram|Alpha.

On Dec 4, 2012, at 4:09 AM, Arne Eide <arne.eide at gmail.com> wrote:

> So much about the (rare?) blue screens. Now I am more concerned
about the route Wolfram indicates with the new Mathematica version. Each
previous version of Mathematica has represented important steps forward,
improving well-known features and adding others. Even those versions
that gave us loads of work to do, rewriting older notebooks, have been
appreciated, increasing the net benefit of the software. I am not
equally enthusiastic about version 9 (up to now). Does it represent a
turning point in the development of the Mathematica software? It seems
to me that the integration of the Wolfram-Alpha ideas into the
Mathematica environment is changing the simple and attractive structure
of Mathematica. Do we have to move into the Math kernel shell to get
back to the original Mathematica experience? I hope you will maintain
Mathematica as the unique tool it was and still is and let Wolfram-Alpha
develop alongside, maybe also as a first Mathematica experience.
Co-existence instead of a predator-prey relation.

---
Murray Eisenberg                           murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                      413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                  fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305