Re: Mathematica 9 for Windows

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128916] Re: Mathematica 9 for Windows
  • From: Arne Eide <arne.eide at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 04:09:50 -0500 (EST)

I'll give credit to Wolfram for quick response and precise guidance to solve the problems with the blue screens. Thanks a lot.

I don't know however, how you can claim that this "issue is rare", actually to me it seems like most of the 64 bits Windows user with previous version 8 installations, have been affected. But the fix worked fine, at least for my two PCs. Both of them went down with blue screen after installing version 9. Not even safe mode could wake them. The Mathematica fonts had to be deleted from a DOS shell before windows could be loaded again. But the manual work worked and I am grateful for the advise. (Who would guess Windows was killed by a font issue!).

So much about the (rare?) blue screens. Now I am more concerned about the route Wolfram indicates with the new Mathematica version. Each previous version of Mathematica has represented important steps forward, improving well-known features and adding others. Even those versions that gave us loads of work to do, rewriting older notebooks, have been appreciated, increasing the net benefit of the software. I am not equally enthusiastic about version 9 (up to now). Does it represent a turning point in the development of the Mathematica software? It seems to me that the integration of the Wolfram-Alpha ideas into the Mathematica environment is changing the simple and attractive structure of Mathematica. Do we have to move into the Math kernel shell to get back to the original Mathematica experience? I hope you will maintain Mathematica as the unique tool it was and still is and let Wolfram-Alpha develop alongside, maybe also as a first Mathematica experience. Co-existence instead
 of a pre
 dator-prey relation.

Best regards,
Arne