Re: Pattern Matching with ReplaceRepated Behaving Unexpectedly

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128942] Re: Pattern Matching with ReplaceRepated Behaving Unexpectedly
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 03:11:18 -0500 (EST)

The second rule is never seen since the first result matches the first
rule. Note:

{u, a, a, v} //. {
  {p___, x : Longest[(a_) ..], q___} :>
   (Print["Rule 1 applied"];
    {p, a^Length[{x}], q}),
  {x___, a^2, y___} :>
   (Print["Rule 2 applied"];
    {x, e, y})}

Rule 1 applied

Rule 1 applied

{u, a^2, v}

MatchQ[%, {p___, x : Longest[(a_) ..], q___}]

True

You can just reverse the order of the rules

{u, a, a, v} //. {
  {x___, a^2, y___} :>
   (Print["Rule 1 applied"];
  {p___, x : Longest[(a_) ..], q___} :>