Re: Could someone help optimize this for Mathematica 9?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128943] Re: Could someone help optimize this for Mathematica 9?
  • From: Brett Champion <brettc at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 03:11:38 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 4, 2012, at 3:14 AM, "McHale, Paul" <Paul.McHale at excelitas.com>
wrote:

> We have a strong need to view large numbers of data points.
Mathematica 8 was excellent at this.  The following code executed under
both 8 and 9 (Windows):

> Mathematica 8: Less than 0.5 seconds
> Mathematica 9: Greater than 4 seconds
>
> mNumberSamples=100000;
> mFrequency=10;
> m=Table[{t/mNumberSamples ,Sin[t/mNumberSamples mFrequency*2
\[Pi]]}*1.0,{t,1,mNumberSamples}];mStartTime=SessionTime[];
> ListLinePlot[m]
> mStopTime=SessionTime[];
> StringForm["Elapsed time = ``", N[mStopTime-mStartTime]]
>
> I have tried the code on a slower mac laptop (version 9 only) and had
the same slower results.  Any input welcome as this functionality is
extremely important to us.

This was caused by an oversight when updating ListLinePlot to support
units for V9.  The fastest workaround I've found so far is to use:

m = Developer`ToPackedArray[ Table[...] ];

Depending on what options you're using to generate the plots, it may
also be slightly faster to use ListPlot[m, Joined->True] instead of
ListLinePlot[m].

Brett Champion
Wolfram Research