Re: Modifying Default Stylesheet

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129031] Re: Modifying Default Stylesheet
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 11:00:35 -0500 (EST)

Here is a procedure you can use to make use of the version 8 stylesheet as the default. It was provided by Wolfram Tech support.

1. In a fresh notebook, execute

FileNameJoin[{$TopDirectory,"SystemFiles","FrontEnd","StyleSheets","Creative"}]

The result is a filepath to the stylesheets inside the Mathematica 'Package'. The example they provide leads to the creative sub-directory, but it is sufficient to navigate to the stylesheet we want. (Windows or Linux will have a different term or way of organizing the files, but the intent should be clear.) The output from this command simply guides you in step 2.

2.	Select the menu option Format/Stylesheet/other...

You will get a dialog box where you use the filepath from step 1 to navigate to the version 8 stylesheet.

Once you have selected the stylesheet, the open notebook will be using this style.

3.	Select the menu option Format/Edit Stylesheet...

You will get a window that you can use to edit the stylesheet. In our case, we do not want to edit it, only install it somewhere.

4.	In the Edit Stylesheet window, click on the button:

	Install Stylesheet...

	You will be presented with a dialog to install the stylesheet. Use the Radio button to select the instal location.

	While you can call this stylesheet anything, I named mine 'Default' so that it would automatically be used when opening notebooks sent by others who use the default.

	Once you have done this, the stylesheet will show up in the Format/Stylesheet submenu

5.	In the options inspector set this stylesheet to be the default.

	The option is under Global Options / File Locations / DefaultStyle definitions.

	Click on the button to navigate to the stylesheet you just installed.

It may not be necessary, but I restarted Mathematica.

Once you have done this, the default stylesheet will be the version 8 one. You could do the same thing to make any stylesheet the default, of course.

I believe that this method produces a stylesheet that builds on the version 8 default in the Mathematica 'Package'. This means that if a new version of Mathematica does not have the legacy default sheet or it is changed, the default defined in this way will be changed.

There is a way to have a new 'base' default. I have not tested it yet, but tech support says it is ok. It involves using the filesystem on your computer to find the version 8 default and making a *copy* in the location that Mathematica puts its custom stylesheets. Then you still have to go through step 5.

If you do this, the copied stylesheet will not refer to any other and will not change if Wolfram changes the internals of Mathematica.

I suppose that you could also just use step 5 to set the Version 8 stylesheet as the default. The only downside to this is that if you receive a notebook that is looking for a stylesheet called 'Default.nb', it will not do what you expect (I think).

For my part, I took the former step. My feeling is that Wolfram will fix this problem 'soon', and after I reset the option in the Options Inspector, everything will be ok.

If there are questions, I am sure that Wolfram Tech support will be happy to help.

george woodrow