Re: Plot Points over an image

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129169] Re: Plot Points over an image
  • From: "Alexey Popkov" <lehin.p at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 04:58:30 -0500 (EST)

Hi Pablo,

For removing the white edges you could use the combination of options

AspectRatio -> Full, PlotRangePadding -> 0, ImagePadding -> 0

or as an alternative the undocumented option

Method -> {"ShrinkWrap" -> True}

Here are examples:

t = Table[
   Evaluate[
    Sum[Sin[RandomReal[1.7] x]*Cos[RandomReal[1.5] y], {10}]], {x, 0,
    8, .02}, {y, 0, 8, 0.02}];
gr1 = Show[ReliefPlot[t], ImageSize -> {640, 640},  Frame -> False,
   Method -> {"ShrinkWrap" -> True}]
gr2 = Show[ReliefPlot[t], ImageSize -> {640, 640},  Frame -> False,
   AspectRatio -> Full, PlotRangePadding -> 0, ImagePadding -> 0]

You wish to generate a 640x640 image and the above code will do it for you.
But you should realize that the real dimensions of the image generated by
ReliefPlot will always be the same as of the array 't' passed to ReliefPlot.
Let us check:

reliefPlotData =
  Cases[gr1, x_Raster :> First@x, {0, \[Infinity]}][[1]];
reliefPlotData // Dimensions

gives {401, 401, 3} and {401, 401}.

So when you export your image with ImageSize {640, 640} you get resized
version of the graphics generated by ReliefPlot. And in this cases you have
no control over resizing algoritm used. I recommend to use ImageResize
instead or (much better) increase the dimensions of the input array 't'.

Further, you say that you "needed the image as a matrix of 640x640 integers
values". This means that you need ither binary or grayscale image. You could
use the ColorFunction option of ReliefPlot to generate a grayscale image:

gr2 = Show[ReliefPlot[t, ColorFunction -> GrayLevel],
   ImageSize -> {640, 640},  Frame -> False, AspectRatio -> Full,
   PlotRangePadding -> 0, ImagePadding -> 0];

To get the 2D matrix generated by ReliefPlot you could then take only the
first element of each RGB triplet (they are the equal in the case of
grayscale images):

reliefPlotData =
  Cases[gr1, x_Raster :> x[[1, All, All, 1]], {0, \[Infinity]}][[1]];

This will give a 2D matrix of real values. If you wish to convert it to
integers, you could multiply them by 255:

reliefPlotDataIntegers = Round[255*reliefPlotData];

You can display it:

Image@Reverse@reliefPlotData
Image[Reverse@reliefPlotDataIntegers, "Byte"]

(the images will be 401x401 in size)

To get 640x640 matrix you should increase the dimensions of the input array
't' or resize the image.

Now you need to add the points. At first, you should check the coordinate
system of your image:

Show[gr2, Frame -> True, FrameTicks -> Automatic,
 ImagePadding -> Automatic]

You see that values go from 0 to 401. This is probably why the points are
shifted. You can use the DataRange option of ReliefPlot to specify the
target range of values. Assuming that it is from 0 to 640:

gr2 = Show[
   ReliefPlot[t, ColorFunction -> GrayLevel,
    DataRange -> {{0, 640}, {0, 640}}], ImageSize -> {640, 640},
   Frame -> False, AspectRatio -> Full, PlotRangePadding -> 0,
   ImagePadding -> 0];
Show[gr2, Frame -> True, FrameTicks -> Automatic,
 ImagePadding -> Automatic]

Visualization of the set of points

Graphics[{Red, Opacity[.5], PointSize[.02], Point[puntos]},
 ImageSize -> {640, 640}]

It does not look like the points on your attached image "imageanother system.tiff".

HTH,

Alexey