Re: Input alias for Surd not working

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129188] Re: Input alias for Surd not working
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 03:22:50 -0500 (EST)

On 12/19/12 at 4:54 AM, hanlonr357 at gmail.com (Bob Hanlon) wrote:

><Esc>surd<Esc> works on my Mac (MBA) with OS X (10.8.2) and my iMac
>with OS X (10.7.5)

>$Version

>"9.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (November 20, 2012)"

>Surd is new in v9. Do you still have v8 on your machine and were you
>using v9?

Interesting... I am running the same version of Mathematica on a
MacBook Pro with 10.8.2 and I definitely do get the result you
indicate. <esc>surd<esc> does nothing for me.

I do still have version 8 installed. My usual policy is to
retain installation of an older version until I find I am simply
not using it for several months. That way, if I run into some
unexpected difficulty with a new version, I can easily go back
one version.

Do you have experience indicating having version 8 installed
impacts behavior of version 9? I've not seen this type of
problem when moving from version to version in the past after
I've modified my init.m file appropriately to prevent loading of
stuff incompatible with one version or the other.