How to change alignment of Grid/Matrix created using menu (Insert->Matrix/Table->New)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129265] How to change alignment of Grid/Matrix created using menu (Insert->Matrix/Table->New)
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 05:33:02 -0500 (EST)

When creating a Grid using Insert->Table/Matrix->New->Table,
and then entering data into the grid, I'd like it to be left
aligned, instead of the default now which is centered.

It looked like what actually happens is that this is all done by FE
since the FullForm shows it is just list of lists and there is no
Grid around it. i.e. it is not really the same thing as when
using the command Grid but just a visual emulation.

I also did SetOptions[Grid, Alignment -> {Left, Baseline}] before
creating the Grid using the menu, and it made no difference,
it was still centered.

Is there another option to set to tell FE to have it to be left
aligned? I searched the options inspector, but do not even know
what to look for.

FYI, I posted the same question on stackexchange here 2 days ago

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/17004/how-to-change-alignment-of-grid-matrix-created-using-menu-insert-matrix-table

I am using V9

thanks,
--Nasser