Re: Modeling of NFL game results

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129270] Re: Modeling of NFL game results
  • From: Scott Hemphill <hemphill at hemphills.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 05:34:43 -0500 (EST)

Scott Hemphill <hemphill at hemphills.net> writes:

> [snip]
>
>> I decided to rate each team with a single number, such that the
>> probability that a team rated "r1" has a probability beating a team
>> rated "r2" is given by:
>>
>>   p = CDF[NormalDistribution[], r1-r2];
>
> Hmmm.  I guess my code actually implements "r2-r1" instead of "r1-r2".
> It doesn't matter, except one way high ratings are better than low
> ratings, and the other is vice versa.
>
>> filename="matrix.m";
>> prec;
>
> I don't know how this line got shortened.  My original has "prec".

Now I know how this got shortened.  My original has "prec" followed by
an equal sign followed by the number 20.  Some software somewhere
interpreted this as a MIME space indicator.  Then at some later point
the space got removed.

Scott
Scott Hemphill	hemphill at alumni.caltech.edu
"This isn't flying.  This is falling, with style."  -- Buzz Lightyear