Re: Modeling of NFL game results

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129271] Re: Modeling of NFL game results
  • From: Scott Hemphill <hemphill at hemphills.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 05:35:03 -0500 (EST)

Ray Koopman <koopman at sfu.ca> writes:

[snip]

> 2. If win[x,m,n] is supposed to give the log of the probability
> that m beats n then low ratings are better than high ratings,
> which is fine if that's what you want.

Right.  Here are the ratings through week 16.

29 Texans	-0.28
14 Falcons	-0.16
 4 Broncos	-0.12
19 Packers	-0.10
21 Patriots	-0.02
 0 49ers         0.00
27 Seahawks	 0.16
 1 Bears	 0.23
31 Vikings	 0.31
24 Ravens	 0.42
10 Colts	 0.44
25 Redskins	 0.55
23 Rams		 0.57
15 Giants	 0.61
11 Cowboys	 0.69
 2 Bengals	 0.81
26 Saints	 0.89
12 Dolphins	 0.91
 7 Cardinals	 0.97
17 Jets		 1.00
28 Steelers	 1.06
20 Panthers	 1.09
 6 Buccaneers	 1.17
18 Lions	 1.18
30 Titans	 1.18
 3 Bills	 1.30
 8 Chargers	 1.32
 5 Browns	 1.42
13 Eagles	 1.45
22 Raiders	 1.81
16 Jaguars	 1.87
 9 Chiefs	 2.20

> 3. The solution is finite only if every team has won at least
> one game and lost at least one game. That doesn't happen until
> after week 10. After that the problem is well conditioned and
> you shouldn't need to mess with the precision.

Yes, I was aware of this.  However, "FindMaximum" doesn't step to
infinity, and "prob[x,m,n]" returns sensible, if inaccurate, results.
(It will always find that a team with a perfect record has an estimated
100% chance of beating a team with an imperfect record.)  The
predictions earlier in the season weren't really very good, but lately
they've been outperforming those of Elliot Harrison on his nfl.com blog.

Scott
Scott Hemphill	hemphill at alumni.caltech.edu
"This isn't flying.  This is falling, with style."  -- Buzz Lightyear