Getting stuck with finding an elegant solution without global variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124801] Getting stuck with finding an elegant solution without global variables
  • From: Fredob <fredrik.doberl at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 04:05:13 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I am trying to find an elegant solution, i.e. without a global
variable to the following problem:

Given a list, e.g. {1,2,3,4}, create a new list where each element is
a function of the "i th" element and the rest of the list, e.g.

Branch[Elem_, List_] := Elem + Cases[List, Except[Elem]]

The the result would be {{3, 4, 5}, {3, 5, 6}, {4, 5, 7}, {5, 6, 7}}

I have used Map[f, List] but then I have to use a global variable in f
to access the list itself, e.g. BranchG[Elem_] := Elem + Cases[List,
Except[Elem]]