Re: How to plot divergence of gradient as contour

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124040] Re: How to plot divergence of gradient as contour
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:16:20 -0500 (EST)

So this proposed solution looks weird to me from a mathematical
perspective.  In the definitions of grad and div, there's no 'x' or 'y'
on the left of the SetDelayed ( := ), yet both 'x' and 'y' appear on the
right.

The difficulty here is that the 'f' on the left is not a function (in
the mathematical sense) per se, but rather an "expression in x and y".

Surely there should be an easy way to represent in Mathematica grad and,
more generally, other differential (and more general) operators upon
functions, so that the result of something like grad[f] would be another
function.

Here's a start:

   grad[phi_[x_, y_]] :=
     {Derivative[1, 0][phi[x, y]], Derivative[0, 1][phi[x, y]]}

   psi[x_, y_] := Sin[x + y]

   grad[psi]
{Cos[#1 + #2] &, Cos[#1 + #2] &}

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu