Re: How to plot divergence of gradient as contour plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124164] Re: How to plot divergence of gradient as contour plot
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 04:26:54 -0500 (EST)

My issue is not that Div, Curl, Grad use a default coordinate system
that's Cartesian and in which the variables are named Xx, Yy, and Zz.

In fact, given the paradigm used for these functions, one is essentially
forced to adopt such a convention lest the variables in these functions
be confused with ordinary x, y, z which one may want to reserve for
other purposes without interference.

And that paradigm I fault is that Div, Curl, and Grad do not operate
upon functions -- which are independent of coordinate systems -- but
rather operate upon functional expressions of variables. That's what I
indicated in my earlier post that you quote.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu