Re: log-like symbols?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124483] Re: log-like symbols?
  • From: Alan <alan.isaac at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 05:16:16 -0500 (EST)

In answer to Murray's question, some LaTeX symbols are called "log-like":
http://omega.albany.edu:8008/Symbols.html
This affects how they are typeset.

Bill's answer gave me a good clue:
if I am entering math in StandardForm,
then such log-like symbols are recognized by Mathematica,
although it does not display them differently.
E.g., if I enter ln(x) in a math cell and then
change to StandardForm I get Log[x] displayed.

But now I am puzzled by the meaning of cell styles.
Suppose I enter the following in a cell given a "Text" style:

  Test: ctrl-( ln(x) ctrl-)

and then copy it as LaTeX.  What I expect to get is

  Test: $\ln(x)$

What I get instead is:

  \text{Test: }

  \ln (x)

Why is Mathematica treating a "Text" cell as a math environment?

Thanks,
Alan Isaac