Re: log-like symbols?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124530] Re: log-like symbols?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:29:31 -0500 (EST)

A simple(-minded?) explanation: try instead just creating a Text cell

   This is a test

with _no_ in-line math there. Copy it as LaTeX and look at the result in
a text editor. You'll see that the text is inside a LaTeX \text{} function.

I presume the purpose is to protect the user from inadvertently pasting
what should really be text into a LaTeX math expression or display-math
environment and having it interpreted as a long product of symbols.

And I suppose the underlying reason for having that protection was the
expectation that users would ordinarily just be copying into LaTeX math.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305