Solving an integral for an unknown function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124528] Solving an integral for an unknown function
  • From: Mikael <mikaen.anderson.1969 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:28:49 -0500 (EST)

Dear All,

I wonder if anyone could let me know if there is a general solution to the following problem in Mathematica.

Suppose the functions g[u,w] and h[w] are known. I want to find a function f[u] such that

Integrate[g[u,w]*f[u],{u,0,1}]=h[w].

In addition I know that

Integrate[f[u],{u,0,1}]=2

and

Integrate[u*f[u],{u,0,1}]=1.

Is it possible to solve the above for the unknown function f[u]? Of course there might be several solutions but I would be happy to find one.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mikael