Re: FindRoot and parameters in NIntegrate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124511] Re: FindRoot and parameters in NIntegrate
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:22:55 -0500 (EST)

Here are two fixes:

FindRoot[{1 + a + b, Integrate[a + b x, {x, 0, 1}]}, {{a, 0}, {b, 0}}]

{a -> 1., b -> -2.}

Clear[f]
f[a_?NumericQ, b_?NumericQ] := NIntegrate[a + b x, {x, 0, 1}]
FindRoot[{1 + a + b, f[a, b]}, {{a, 0}, {b, 0}}]

The first error message in your post results from FindRoot trying to
evaluate NIntegrate[a + b x, {x, 0, 1}] before giving a and b numerical
values. The second results from evaluating it with a == b == 0.

The solutions above avoid both problems.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com