Re: exercises: suppress printing of answers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124545] Re: exercises: suppress printing of answers
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 05:06:43 -0500 (EST)

I have exercises with answers. I can put each exercise in a subsection

and each answer in a subsubsection (using the default style sheet).

I'd like to tag the answer heading cell (i.e., the subsubsection

styled cell) and use the tag to suppress outputting of the answers

(i.e., of all the material in that subsubsection, not just in the

heading), so that I can create a PDF of the exercises only.

I feel sure this can be done simply, but I don't see how to do it.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Alan Isaac

Hi, Alan,

Recently here there was a discussion on making slides. Please have a look into my reply to this discussion: [mg124203] Re: Using Mathematica to create slides<http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2012/Jan/msg00285.html>, of 13.01.2012. Approaches to hide executable code described there you may like to apply to your case hiding answers. In addition you may have the answers in a separate file and connect the files with hyperlinks.

Further, the "Presentations" package of David Park has routines that may seem you attractive for your purposes. One of them, for example, enables you to keep answers together with the tasks document, but in an invisible form (all located in one closed technical Section). They may only become visible appearing in a separate window upon demand (after clicking a button) in the Mathematica environment. They are not visible when one reads a pdf file. Probably the Presentations package has also other approaches.

Have fun, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.

IEE S.A.

ZAE Weiergewan,