Re: Sending an interrupt to the frontend?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127250] Re: Sending an interrupt to the frontend?
  • From: James Stein <mathgroup at stein.org>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 02:20:23 -0400 (EDT)

Thinking further on this problem, it occurs to me that "Mathematica"
comprises (at least) two processes: Mathematica and MathKernel. How does
the Mathematica process respond if the MathKernel process is killed by an
outside agency (such as a human using Mac's 'Terminal' as superuser)?

I would hope that the FrontEnd would survive gracefully. If it is busy
"formatting contents", it should eventually finish "formatting output" (if
it is). Furthermore, the FrontEnd ought to be able to accept interrupts at
least once every time it sends output to the active Notebook.

So the question is: Why is this a hard problem? Wolfram employs lots of
people who know lots more about this that me and most others, so there must
be a reason for such bad behavior. Inquiring minds wish to know.