Re: Quit and Restart kernel quickly?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127297] Re: Quit and Restart kernel quickly?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 01:32:29 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/13/12 at 2:54 AM, mstankus at gmail.com wrote:

>Is there a way to quit and restart the kernel quickly? I would like
>to do this without having to use the menu twice.

Evaluating Quit[] will stop the kernel. Restarting the kernel
can be done by evaluating pretty much anything else.

Note, if your purpose in quitting the kernel is to reset your
session to its initial state, take a look at the package
Utilitcries`CleanSlate`. After this package is loaded you can
evaluate CleanSlate[] to reset your session to the state that
existed at the time the CleanSlate package was loaded.

Using CleanSlate to reset your session can be faster than
quitting and restarting the kernel particularly if you have
added several things in the init.m file the kernel executes as
it starts. Additionally, CleanSlate offers finer control on
resetting things. For example you could do

several computations
<<Utilities`CleanSlate`
more computations
CleanSlate[]

This would reset your session state so that variables assigned
values, functions etc created during the "several computations"
are left intact while those created during "more computations"
are removed. In contrast, quitting the kernel would remove everything.