Re: Obtaining densest x% of a Bivariate Distribution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127482] Re: Obtaining densest x% of a Bivariate Distribution
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza10 at msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 02:40:40 -0400 (EDT)

Well, to start with, BinomialDistribution is not a bivariate distribution. Second, a polygon is always a connected region (if that's what you mean by continuous region). Now, if you mean a univariate distribution, such as the binomial, then I would guess you are looking for the shortest interval in the support of the distribution which encloses x% of the probability. You won't find an interval that satisfies this condition for an arbitrary x. Take, for instance, BinomialDistribution[50, 0.5], and tabulate it for a number of integral intervals. There is no interval which encloses precisely 95% of the probability.
Clear[f]; f[k_]:=CDF[BinomialDistribution[50, 0.5], k];
Then take a close look at the following table:
Table[{{j, k}, f[k]-f[j]},{j,10,22},{k,30,41}]
-Tomas