Re: Using Mathematica to typeset books

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125356] Re: Using Mathematica to typeset books
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 06:07:53 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 8, 4:41 am, m... at necomp.us wrote:
> I'm a newbie to Mathematica. I work with a publisher that is looking
> to use Mathematica to typeset its books. Is it possible to do this and
> what are some books that may be of interest. A lot of the books are
> now set using LaTex but the publisher is looking to set up some with
> Mathematica and then using CDF for some website tutorials.

Just sent the following to you directly, but I am also posting here
for a bit more exposure!

--David

Hi Mike,

I read your note to the MathGroup. A quick answer to your question is
that there have been quite a few books set in Mathematica directly
since Mathematica version 3 (that was when Mathematica's typesetting
capabilities became "publication quality" with the ability to display
equations in a form as good as TeX.  Since then, of course, things
have developed considerably.

I recently worked on a project to recast a full middle school
curriculum in CDFs -- with various active elements in the various
pages.  And I have worked for quite some time on various aspects of
automating things of that sort.

I work as an independent consultant -- mainly with Mathematica
projects -- and it is in this capacity that I am contacting you.  But
I also work as a subcontractor to the Wolfram consulting group,
"Wolfram Solutions."

I'd be happy to chat with you about the needs of the publisher you
work with.  Let me know if you'd like to do this and we can set up a
time.  I see from http://necomp.us/ that we are not too far from one
another:  I live in Arlington, MA.

Best regards,
David Reiss