Re: Norm, Normalize and column vectors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126394] Re: Norm, Normalize and column vectors
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 20:29:57 -0400 (EDT)

It's impossible to know _why_ without being able to read the minds of
the developers!

A more proximate reason is the documentation: ref/Norm says Norm[expr]
"gives the norm of a number, vector, or matrix" whereas ref/Normalize
says Normalize[v] "gives the normalized form of a vector v".

Whether Normalize ought to be extended to have the same domain as Norm
-- that's a different question. At first glance, that would seem
desirable, but then I don't know what the implications of such an
extension would be for the rest of the system.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305