Re: unexpected behaviour of Sum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126499] Re: unexpected behaviour of Sum
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 04:53:36 -0400 (EDT)

The problem is not with Sum it is with your definition of sod.

Note what happens with a symbolic input to sod:

sod[k]

This happens because IntegerDigits is not evaluated then Apply replaces its head with Plus and returns k.

Restrict the definition of sod to numeric input

sod[n_Integer] := ...

Bob Hanlon